From Sea to Sky - South Lakes and Grange over Sands
This holiday compliments our South Lakes portfolio of holidays.. Based by the sea at Grange over Sands, the walking explores the Kent Estuary, Cartmel and its fell, Gummers How above Lake Windermere and the area of Arnside and Silverdale.
The walking is superb - lower than in the heart of the Lakes, but with the sea and river Kent valley always in view.
We use the coast path as part of our walking experience. Lovely villages abound and the hospitality of the people is brilliant
Accommodation and Meals
We stay at Thornleigh hotel Grange- over Sands, set back from the promenade but with good views over the bay.
Famed for hosting groups, good , wholesome food and caring staff the hotel compliments our walking programme. 31 bedrooms and a friendly welcome.
No single supplement.
Your walking programme
Walking starts on Sunday afternoon at 2.,30pm with a local walk to get to know each other, your leaders and the local rea.
We then walk on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday and Thursday until lunchtime.
We take transport to most walks- but only a maximum of 10 miles travel.
Here are some of the walking reas we will cover.
- Gummers How
- Cartmel Fell and village/ Hampsfell
- Whitbarrow Scar
- Arnside, Silverdale and Arnside Knott
- Black combe and the surrounding fells
- The coast path arouind Grange, and Lindale/the River Kent estuary
- The Furness fellsand Leven Valley
- Flookburgh. Holker, Howbarrow
Walking - Grades and difficulty
We walk between 9 and 10 miles per day. We walk at a steady pace, we don’t rush. We want you to enjoy our lovely scenery - these hills and valleys are a walkers paradise with good paths and an ever changing landscape.
There are hills to ascend - we go up to a maximum of 200 metres over two miles of walking, but the climbing is gradual and we won’t rush. What’s the point of huffing and puffing, being exhausted then not being able to enjoy this fabulous land. Descending is not precarious, and is gentle in relationship to many walking areas.
Meet New Friends
Its all about meeting new friends. Each holiday is designed to be a friendly, relaxed and stress free occasion. Talking is as important as walking or discovering on Short Breaks for Single Travellers holidays. We don't go in for disco's, we may use an event that is taking place in the area we are in to boost the weekends activities - but its good, old fashioned chat that makes our short breaks successful.
"Make new friends that turn into old friends - that's our motto."
What's included in your holiday
What you get on a Secret Hills break
- Hotel bed and breakfast– en suite four nights
- Dinner-three course each night plus coffee
- Sole occupancy- no single supplement
- Personal service - includes train pickup and set downs, individual holiday planning for you
- Total flexibility on when you arrive and depart - come for as many or few days as you want
- Expert guiding
- Transport to walks start and finish
- No single supplement
- A social, relaxed approach
- Full joining details prior to your holiday
- Our administration support throughout the process of booking and prior to the holiday
Iconic SEA AND FELLS landscape
- Morecambe Bay sea scapes
- lovely villages and woodland walking
- walking along the coast
- sea front hotel
-no single supplement
-our relaxed social approach
Great reasons to join us
There are other walking holiday companies that cover the lovely Lake District but we believe we offer the best value for many reasons….
- We are a small friendly company
- We have a loyal customer base who return again and again (so we must be doing something right) – read our testimonials page on the website
- We offer a lot of flexibility – you can stay extra nights which we are happy to organise for you. We are also very flexible on the walks we provide, adapting to suit walkers and weather conditions
- Our walk leading is second to none. Unlike some other large Walking Companies, we use LOCAL leaders who live in the area and who love their surroundings. They have expert knowledge of everything you need to know to make an area come alive.
- You are safe in our hands – our guides are experts, fully qualified in first aid. Also, because of their local knowledge of the hills, they can respond to any situation that might for example demand cutting short a route. They don’t need to consult maps – they know the hills intimately.
- Our leaders are all easy-going, genuinely sociable people who want to ensure that you have the best time you can with the rest of the group. They make the holiday fun by engaging with all members of a group, and ensuring that everyone feels part of the group experience.
- We give great value for money. Because we recognise that lots of walkers holiday on their own, we have negotiated no single supplement deals with all our hotels to ensure the best possible deal.
- We always use good hotels. Our hotel in Grange over Sands is set in lovely surroundings and the standard is really good.
- We have smaller groups than some of the larger walking companies, because we believe the social experience is much better in a smaller group. People can talk to everyone, especially at dinner where you can all sit on one table in a small group. Our numbers vary from holiday to holiday but an average group size would be 8-12.
The surrounding area
Grange-over-Sands is a quiet seaside retreat on the Southern tip of the Cartmel peninsula, between the mountains and the sea, and only 7 miles from Windermere.
Grange is a pretty resort with an Edwardian flavour and a mild climate. It is on the shores of Morecambe Bay, and from the 13th Century until the 1850’s, the major route from Lancaster was across the sands. In 1887, the coming of the Furness Railway encouraged the growth of Grange from a small hamlet to the town we see today. Wealthy industrialists from Lancashire and Yorkshire were quick to build large houses here.
The estuary and the countryside around Grange are fascinating places for nature enthusiasts. A tremendous range of birds can be seen, and there are several nature reserves and sites of special scientific interest. Grange has some of the finest parks and gardens on the Cumbrian coast – the ornamental gardens has a lake with many water birds.
Grange-over-Sands has a railway station on the Furness line.
Arnside and Siverdale- this extraordinary place is famous for its amazing wildlife, stunning scenery, and superb walks. From the simple beauty of the lady's-slipper orchid to the shining sands of Morecambe Bay, the area is simply awe-inspiring. Stunning limestone pavements, ancient woodlands, intimate orchards and meadows and an impressive coastline make Arnside & Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty one of England's finest landscapes. The work of the AONB Partnership aims to conserve and enhance this extraordinary place now and for the future.
Arnside Knott- is renowned for its wildlife. Take a circular walk to admire views of the surrounding countryside and enjoy the sights and sounds along the way.
From the top you can see across the rolls and peaks of the Lakeland Fells and the Yorkshire Dales, down into Lancashire and right out over the sands of Morecambe Bay. Sit and enjoy the view with a picnic or carry on along the many different paths which take you down to Red Hills Wood or Heathwaite.
Close by are the fells above Newby Bridge and south Windermere - just a short drive to wonderful walking such as Gummers How.
How to book your holiday
- How to book a UK guided walking holiday
- To reserve a place on any of our holidays, please follow these simple instructions.
- Reserve online - once you have chosen your holiday, click on the booking button and complete the online form
OR contact us by phone or email, and we will send by post or email, a booking form to you
OR you can call us direct on 01694 723600, and we will take your reservation over the phone. Please note we cannot take credit/debit card details over the phone; you can, however, post us a cheque. Alternatively, you can pay via the Pay Pal system attached to our website, which allows you to pay either by debit/credit card, or by using your Paypal account if you have one.
- We will also accept a Bank Transfer and on request we will supply our bank details to you.
- It is important that you read the terms and conditions before you sign the booking form.
- Note - if you are reserving a holiday within a month of the start date then the full amount is due immediately and no deposit should be paid.
- Secret Hills Walking, 35, Sandford Avenue, Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6 6BH